|This photo of the Tucker Hill Cemetery shows the numerous home made headstone within the small cemetery, which was once located on the Tucker Family homestead. The cemetery was very overgrown during our visit. See our list of internments below. (Photo 2007 by Jeff Cannon- ©Copyright)|
|The Tucker Hill Cemetery is one of the many forgotten cemeteries of
Hernando County, which is rather unfortunate. The Tucker Hill Cemetery
is the burial place for those who lived before us as pioneers of the
land. Like many of our cemeteries the Tucker Hill Cemetery was first
established as a family burial ground but it eventually evolved into a
community cemetery. Many of today's community cemeteries were first
established as a small family burial grounds just like Tucker Hill. To
understand the history of the Tucker Hill Cemetery we must understand
the family who lived here. The property surrounding the Tucker Hill
Cemetery was once the farm and homestead of pioneer resident Henry
Crawford Tucker who first settled on the property on March 8,
Henry Tucker was born on November 17, 1841 in Georgia, the seventh of ten children born to Elijah Tucker and Lucy Ann Echols. Henry was the great-grandson of Benjamin Tucker and the grandson of the prominent and pioneer Colquitt County Georgia settler Elder Henry Crofford [Crawford] Tucker who was born Feburay 23, 1752. According to the History of Colquitt County, it was sometime between the 1820's and 1830's when the Elder Henry Crawford Tucker and the Tucker family settled in Colquitt County, one-half mile north of Moultrie and Camilla Road. The Elder Tucker was a devote minister and was a founder of the Bridge Creek Primitive Baptist Church where he served. In addition the Elder Henry C. Tucker was elected and served on Colquitt County Georgia's Secession Convention, where it was decided that Georgia would no longer be apart of the Union during the Civil War.
Once Henry had reached the working age of 18, he sought work on one of the many local plantations in Colquitt County. Soon he found a job as a farm laborer on the plantation of Mr. Martin Thomas and he also took up residence with the Thomas family. Here Henry worked for a short time and by 1861, at the age of 20, Henry had answered the call of duty and enlisted for service with the Confederate States Army. On July 8, 1861 he enlisted as a private of Company H of the 13th Georgia of Gordon's Brigade and on September 17, 1862 he was appointed 2nd Sergeant. 2nd Sergt. Henry C. Tucker lead his command until being severely wounded under Union fire. On July 10, 1864, at Monocacy, Maryland, Tucker was shot in the left shoulder by a "minnie ball", with the "minnie ball" entering Tucker's front left shoulder and exited out the back. As a result of his severe wounds Tucker was taken prisoner and was taken to Frederien City, Maryland where he was imprisoned at Point Lookout. On January 17, 1865 Henry was paroled at Point Lookout, Maryland for a prisoner exchanged, which occured on the James River in Viginia, at Boulware and Cox's Wharves, on January 21, 1865. Following his parol Henry was appointed the 1st Sergeant of his company.
While in prison Tucker was able to recover from the wounds he had received in battle, however he would be disfigured and disabled for the remainder of his life. Upon him being released from prison, in 1865, at the end of the war, Tucker returned to Georgia where he had had previously enlisted for service. In February 1865, records show him at home in Georgia, a paroled prisoner of war. Upon returning to Georgia Henry soon engaged to marry the love of his life, Martha D. Sanders. On February 8, 1866 Henry Crawford Tucker and Mrs. Martha D. Sanders were married in Terrell, Georgia. Henry soon returned to his job as a farm laborer and he and Martha began to raise a family of their own, having thier first child by 1867; a daughter named Florence. In 1868 Martha and Henry had another daughter, Lucy, followed by Ella in September of 1870. While Henry supported his family as a farm laborer, Martha remained at home raising their children as a devoted wife and mother; an important role to the family.
Soon after the birth of their daughter Ella, Henry and Martha decided to move farther south where the farming was good and land could be obtained through homestead from the United States. As Martha and Henry brought their family south, they soon decided upon settlement in Hernando County. On March 08, 1871, Martha and Henry arrived in Hernando County where they would soon build a home and begin to build a farm. Henry sought out property that he could claim under homestead and it was 40 acres of property situated about 5 miles east of Brooksville where the family finally settled. Henry located his property near to 40 acres that was owned and settled by Thomas G.B. Pinkston only a few year prior. It was sometime in the late 1860's when Thomas Pinkston settled with hs family upon 40 acres of property that is further described as being located in the north-west quarter of section 3, township 22, range 20, here he and his wife Jane raised several children.
Upon arrival to the area, Henry Tucker immediately began the task of building his property and constructing a home where he and his family could live. In addition to the construction of a home the grounds were prepared and crops were planted, all in accordance with making application for homestead. By 1879 Henry had made his application to homestead property, which then required the family to live their for a minimum of five years. The year 1879 also proved to be trying times for the Tucker Family. On September 20, 1877 Henry and Martha Tucker lost their second son, Wibie, who at the time was only 2 years old. Wibie Tucker was born in Hernando County Florida on December 27, 1875 at the Tucker homestead on this site. Only one week later another internment would occur at the Tucker Hill Cemetery, on September 27, 1877 Ellen McDaniel died making Tucker Hill a community burial ground. The Tucker Hill Cemetery had been started two years prior on August 2, 1877, however due to the damaged headstone the name of this earlier internment is not known.
After the death of Wibie Tucker, Martha and Henry continued to have children, most being born at their homestead in Hernando County. According to the 1880 Federal Census, Henry and Martha had several children listed as follows: Lucy, age 11; Ella C. age 10; T.G.B., age 6 [first son]; Bobbie A., age 5; Mamie E., age 3; Martha Bulah, age 1; and Annie Lee born in 1880. Henry and Marth also had two children born in 1885 and 1887, Catie and William; born repectively. Most of the Tucker children were buried here at the Tucker Hill Cemetery. On June 13, 1884 Henry C. Tucker received full title and deed to his 40 acre homestead, which is further described as being situated in the south-west quarter of section 3, township 22s, range 20e. (Click here to view 1884 Henry C. Tucker homestead deed)
For more that 20 years Henry C. Tucker worked his 40 acre farm raising crops to eat and others to sell. Martha worked at the family home raising and rearing their children, once old enough the children were sent to local schools for their education needs. Eventually Henry Tucker would acquire an additional 10 acres to his homestead, expanding his farm to 50 acres. In addition the family purchased 2 milk cows that were used to fresh milk and butter. The Tucker's lived a simple farm life like most of those who settled in the area. Since the burial of their son Wibie in 1877, the Tucker's had offered their small section of property for many other community burials; most of which were children. On December 07, 1894 Henry Crawford Tucker was too laid to rest in the small Tucker Hill Cemetery, located on his 50 acres homestead. According to the writings of Martha D. Tucker, "Henry died as a result of pulmonary consumption." Martha D. Tucker never remarried and continued to live on the 50 acre homestead built by her and her husband. Martha Tucker passed away on December, 07, 1909, 15 years after the death of her husband to the day. Like here husband, Martha too was buried in the Tucker Hill Cemetery beside most of her children.
In recent years the 50 acre farm once cleared and owned by Henry Tucker has been allowed to overgrow. There are still a few, old, orange trees visible and left from those once grown on the the Tucker farmstead. The Tucker Hill Cemetery property is located within the Croom extension of the Withlacoochee State Forrest and the property surrounding the cemetery has once again been taken back by nature. The cemetery property itself is surrounded by huge oak trees that no doubt once stood behind the Tucker home. The cemetery has been fenced off from the surrounding property in an attempt to keep out the overgrowth just beyond the meager strands of wire. From time to time it appears that the cemetery is mowed and maintained, however during our visit the cemetery was in desperate need of cleaning and mowing.
There appear to be a number of unmarked graves in the Tucker Hill Cemetery, however further investigations haven't yet been conducted. Through the years there have n been several headstones that have been damaged either from vandals or the encroachments of nature. Most of the headstones in the Tucker Hill Cemetery are home-made and appear to have been erected by Henry C. and Martha D. Tucker. This may be an indication that the Tucker's cared for this cemetery, which was located on their property.
Today the Tucker Hill Cemetery is in need of attention and preservation before it is forever lost to nature. Many times the descendants of those interred in a small cemetery, such as Tucker Hill, they are completely unaware of the cemetery's existence and the burials of their relatives. These relatives, as heirs, have a vested interest and right to ask that the property owners provide reasonable maintenance to said cemeteries. In recent years contact has been made with descendents of the Tucker family, who are working with the community to preserve this historic cemetery.
Anyone interested in the preservation of the Tucker Hill Cemetery please contact page designer and historian Jeff Cannon
This page was last revised October 10, 2010- Copyright © 2008-2010 by Jeff Cannon
Special thanks to the Tucker family descendants Cindy Elledge and Kathryn Sweatt for their corrections in genealogy.
|NOTE: In addition to the taking of a headstone
inscription reading we have also consulted a number of other records
including but not limited to cemetery research
by Mary Wilson, Florida Death Index*, Local Funeral Home Records, W.P.A. Records, Unpublished Genealogical Society
Records, obituaries and newspaper articles. If we have an
obituary on file for someone listed we would be happy to provide a
copy upon request.
KEY FOR SYMBOLS
s/o - Son Of
d/o - Daughter Of
w/o - Wife Of
h/o - Husband Of
m/o- Mother of
ss/w- Side by Side With
BOZEMAN, Lucy A. b. Jul. 5, 1850 d. Dec. 12, 1888 (w/o Z.R. Bozeman- age 38 years)
HILL, James D. b. Nov. 25, 1809 d. Oct. 18, 1879 (s/o of Hascal & Mary Hill- inscription)
MCDANIEL, Ellen b. May 5, 1875 d. Sept 27, 1877 (In Memory Of)
MCDANIEL, Mary Ann b. Oct 4, 1879 d. Oct 19, 1880 (In Memory Of)
MCDANIEL, Rebecca Ann b. Mar. 21, 1858 d. Jul 25, 1883 (Sacred to the Memory of- Consistent member of the Methodist Church- w/o John Slade McDaniel- long inscription)
MCDANIEL, Rily C. b. Aug. 14, 1877 d. July 26, 1881 (In Memory Of)
PINKSTON, Margaret R. 1829-1889
PINKSTON, Thomas G. b. Jan. 23, 1814 d. Mar. 10, 1879 (Sacred to the Memory of- Erected by H.C. & M.D. Tucker- long inscription)
SMITH, Mary Virginia b. Dec. 12, 1849 d. Aug. 30, 1933 (Rest in Peace)
SMITH, William Hop b. Aug. 30, 1847 d. Dec. 17, 1917 (Rest in Peace)
TEMPLE, Andrew J. b. Aug. 12, 1883 d. Jan. 3, 1884 (ss/w Annie Temple- Four Sided Headstone with other Temple's)
TEMPLE, Annie b. Aug. 12, 1883 d. Dec. 9, 1883 (ss/w Andrew J. Temple- Four Sided Headstone with other Temple's)
TEMPLE, Rena May b. Dec. 12, 1885 d. May 8, 1887 (Four Sided Headstone with other Temple's)
TEMPLE, Warner R. b. Jan. 2, 1864 d. Oct. 1, 1887 (Four Sided Headstone with other Temple's)
TEMPLE, Wille G. b. Sep. 27, 1872 d. Jun. 16, 1893 (Four Sided Headstone with other Temple's)
TUCKER, Bobbie b. Oct. 16, 1874 d. Oct. 29, 1883 (d/o H.C. & M.D. Tucker- inscription)
TUCKER, (?) b. Jan. 23, 1850 d. Aug. 2, 1877 (Erected by H.C. & M.D. Tucker- Rest In Peace- stone broken)
TUCKER, Henry Crawford b. Nov. 17, 1841 d. Dec. 7, 1894 (1st Serg. CO. H 13 GA INF CSA)
TUCKER, Martha Dinita Sanders b. Dec. 18, 1844 d. Dec. 7, 1909 (w/o Henry Crawford Tucker)
TUCKER, Mamie b. Mar. 20, 1877 d. Jan. 11, 1882 (d/o H.C. & M.D. Tucker- inscription)
TUCKER, Wibie b. Dec. 27, 1875 d. Sept. 20, 1877 (s/o H.C. & M.D. Tucker- For of such is the Kingdom of Heaven)
UNKNOWN, wooden marker (note: wooden marker leaning against a palm tree, no inscriptions)
UNKNOWN, natural stone marker (note: same row as wooden marker)
|[Left] Headstone of pioneer resident Thomas G. B. Pinkston (1814-1879) [Right] Headstone of Rebecca Ann McDaniel (1838-1885), wife of John Slade McDaniel.|
|[Left] Headstone of Riley C. McDaniel (1877-1883) [Right] Headstone of Mary Ann McDaniel (1878-1880)|
|[Left] Headstone of Ellen McDaniel (1875-1878) [Right] Headstone of James D. Hill (1839-1878)|